Saturday, November 2, 2013

Late October Post

Didn't have an October post because, frankly, there was nothing to say. It was Peanut Festival time in Grapeland and we had a good one. Still a bit melancholy because the crop that founded the festival is long gone. Since there is enough depressing news in the world, I decided not to blog about it.

October is really the month I prefer to plant winter grains. This October I spent trying to restore my 1967 Allis Chalmers All Crop Drill. I did a less than satisfactory job on it, but I managed to save it from the scrapper and make it serviceable. It became a necessity because my local New Holland / AGCO dealer sold their rental Tye and Great Plains drills. My budget only allowed so much. I paid $500 for my 15x7 Allis, had to haul it back from Missouri, ($500) restore and paint it ($400).  I am not dissatisfied with it, but I could have bought a $2000 Brillion in state. I saved some cash but boy, did I have to work for it!

Dropping the seeder gang out and replacing frozen seed cups is no small thing. Getting it back in is even worse. I ended up replacing 2 seeders and building a third from spare parts. The bearings on the coulters need to be replaced next, but since I am only doing a few acres with it this year, I am going to blow that off till next summer. I really need to replace the hopper, make or have made sheet metal parts to replace those which time has really been hard on. Harbor Freight Tools, here I come!



I will finish reassembly next week. In the field planting a couple days after.

No comments:

Post a Comment